Monday, February 6, 2012

Run to WIN

As some of you may know, I have recently picked up running as a new hobby. Call me crazy, but I am filled with such peace when I run, & it has become something very special in my life. I began training about 4 months prior to my 1st half-marathon, & I felt an overwhelming sense of accomplishment when I crossed the finish line.

As I got to thinking, I realized that our daily life as a Christian is a lot like running a marathon. One of my favorite Bible verses comes from Hebrews 12:1-2. It says, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders & the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer & perfector of faith."

Look at the first part of this scripture: "Let us throw off everything that hinders."
When shopping for my race outfit, I was certain it had to be perfect. It needed to be lightweight & just the right material so I wouldn't be slowed down. In our life, we sometimes carry certain weights & burdens that slow us down as we run our Christian race. If we seek God's face, His grace will lighten our step & allow us to run at our full potential.

The next part says to "run with perseverance."
To persevere means to endure. Training to run the 13.1 miles of rolling hills wasn't easy. It involved hard work, dedication, & determination. I often faced setbacks such as a swollen ankle, a sore knee, & fatigue. We also face setbacks in life's race. We may come up against an obstacle that causes us to stumble & fall, but we must trust that God will be there to pick us up again.

The last part of the scripture says, "let us fix our eyes on Jesus."
There were quite a few times during my race where it would have been easy for me to give up. Through perseverance, I kept my eyes on the prize--the finish line. The prize of our life's race is not a trophy or a medal. It is not the satisfaction of hearing an applause or receiving recognition. The prize of our life's race is the Lord Jesus Christ. Our eyes must be fixed on Him for the entire length of our race--from beginning to end.

1 Corinthians 9:24 says, "Remember that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you will win."

The Christian race is long & difficult. It will often bring many trials & tests. But if we make it our daily goal to run with God as our "pace partner," He will surely lead us to the finish line...even if He has to carry us there.



Stay tuned...

B

No comments:

Post a Comment