Wednesday, January 2, 2013

More Than Hot

Santa brought me several new worship CD's for Christmas. As I am making my way through each of them, I cannot help but notice a theme with several of the songs...lots of talk about fire. Some of my favorite lyrics include: "Consuming fire, burn deep within. Overtake my heart and burn in me once again."...and "Set a fire down in my soul...that I can't contain, that I can't control."

So I started thinking...what does "consuming fire" even mean? Webster defines consuming as "extremely intense; so intense as to take up all of somebody's attention, time, & energy."

What is the first thing you think of when you hear the word "fire?" I guess my first thought is that it's hot. Obviously. Then I began thinking about the fire that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were thrown into. That fire was so hot that the soldiers died while attempting to throw in the 3 men.

I'm pretty sure that God desires for our fire to be like the one in that fiery furnace. Maybe your fire used to be like that, but it has grown dim here lately. If that's the case, I challenge you today to feed that tiny flame and let it grow into a raging forest fire. I promise the Holy Spirit is waiting to explode God's power in your life!

As a new year is beginning, don't be content with simply being "hot for God." Strive to be the kind of fire that refuses to burn out...a consuming fire that cannot get enough!

Stay tuned...

B

No comments:

Post a Comment