Monday, August 13, 2012

When Life Throws You a Curveball

I've always been what you would call a "planner." I have been told that I display a few OCD tendencies when trying to get things accomplished. For example, I believe that everything should be completed a specific way and by a certain time. Well...you want to make God laugh?? Simply tell Him YOUR plans! This is the understatement of a lesson that I learned the past few days. I've just been going along with MY plans...had a great Summer, about to begin another semester of school, working my regular job, caught up in the fairytale of a relationship...pretty smooth sailing, right??

Boom...CURVEBALL...and my plans take a 180 turn pretty quickly. Life can sometimes be messy. It can be full of pain and disappointments along the way. Things don't always turn out right or exactly how we plan, and it can hurt...a lot.

So what do we do when life throws us a curveball? Do we sit and cry over what could have/should have been? Do we get angry? I am a firm believer that God does not close one door, unless He is patiently waiting to open an even BETTER door for us! So instead of moping around, take a step away from your disappointments (whatever they may be) and take a step closer to the good that God is working in your life. I don't know about you, but I would rather rejoice in what IS and WILL BE than wallow in what isn't. Think about that for a moment.

In the middle of my little whirlwind, I am desperately clinging to this verse: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."-Romans 8:28

One of my favorite songs right now is Steady My Heart by Kari Jobe. The lyrics are so powerful! Meditate on these words:
"But You're here, You're real. I know I can trust You. Even when it hurts, even when it's hard, even when it all just falls apart...I will run to You, 'cause I know that You are Lover of my soul, Healer of my scars. You steady my heart! I'm not gonna worry. I know that You've got me right inside the palm of Your hands."

Pretty awesome, right??

Disappointments only sting as long as we let them. Take all of your pain, your hurt, and your sorrows and pray this prayer: Dear Lord, thank You for Your mercies and patience in this journey of imperfect progress. Forgive me for allowing disappointments to capture my heart so easily. Adjust my perspective and help me to see the things You have brought to life in me. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Now run to God with everything you have, and let Him steady your heart!

Stay tuned...

B

No comments:

Post a Comment